Saturday, July 12, 2014

I've Got Some New Shoes On


Y'all, this has been one long rest week for me. I hate coming home and just sitting on the couch, not working out. It makes me feel like one big, old, fat blob.  Not to mention I'm exhausted this week. Working out helps my energy level and my serotonin levels. Not working out is making me feel blah to the power of 3. How far I've come from the girl who hated working out, now I'm craving working out. I hate being inactive all the time, I really do. 

I'm also still sad that I'm missing the running with the goats 10k tomorrow morning. But it is not worth risking further injuring myself. My leg pain is still there, although not very prominent. But the fact that it has not totally gone away worries me constantly.

I had to be in Huntsville today for an appointment anyway, so I decided I would stop by the local fleet feet. I've been curious for sometime about their fitting process and getting a custom shoe. I have been wondering if my stride was causing me more pain. Plus, my shoes I'm wearing now are so worn out! I've just been being a cheapskate about replacing them because good running shoes are not cheap. 

When I got there, I put my name on the fitting board and waited my turn. I was kind of nervous because I get stranger anxiety and that one on one stuff can freak me out. But I sucked it up anyway. 

The first thing my consultant did was measure my feet. I've never known my true shoe size as it varies so much. My feet are more wide than they are long (flintstone feet), which always leads me into buying shoes that are too big for me.  So it was nice to learn my actual size.

Next, she had me run on a treadmill. I learned that I run as I should on my right foot but over pronate (inward roll of the foot) on my left foot. And my left leg is the one causing me all the pain (although it is possible that I'm overpronating because of my leg pain but I feel it is vice versa).

I got fitted for a really nice pair of shoes with a lot of cushioning and support, which hopefully will help correct my running technique. If not, she also suggested some orthopedic inserts for even more support. I also got some nice moisture wicking socks, oh la la.

Tomorrow morning, I'm going to do a slow one mile run and see how that effects my pain level. I'm hoping that it wont worsen things, and I can get back to training as I have been.

Wish Me Luck,
Brittany


1 comment:

  1. I love my running shoes. When I first started running, I just picked up a pair of sneakers that I got at Kohl's. I had so many lower back and foot problems. Finally my podiatrist was like, "Have you ever thought about going to a running store and getting a real pair of sneakers?" It worked like a charm. It took a few runs to get used to them, but now I love them! Congrats on the new sneakers!!

    It's so good that you are sitting out the injuries. I have not run for a week due to a sore lower back. It will be so worth it when you are back at 100%!

    Kim

    ReplyDelete