Friday, July 4, 2014

10 Tips For Finishing the Couch to 5k Running Program from a Former Couch Potato



The Couch to 5k program is an awesome way to get into running for complete beginners. I have done it twice and wanted to offer some helpful tips for completing it!

1. Choose A Race
The biggest motivation in finishing the program is having a goal. Before Jana and I even started the couch to 5k plan, we signed up for the Street Car 5k in Columbus, Mississippi. I suggest picking a race 9-12 weeks out, since couch to 5k is a 9 week program! However, our race was 6 weeks out, and we trained every other day, which is totally doable! I find Running in the USA and Active.com great websites to find races!

2. Change Up The Scenery
The treadmill (or dreadmill as I like to call it) is great when you are training for a 5k. It forces you to maintain a steady pace and it makes it easy to track mileage. But there is nothing like getting out and pounding the pavement. Not only can you run in different locations (keeping it from getting boring), but it is also helpful in getting ready for a 5k because the races take place outside. And running outside the gym feels so different than hitting the treadmill and vice versa.

3. Remember The First Weeks are the Toughest
When I started the couch to 5k program, I was 350 pounds and could barely walk a mile!  So honestly, I didn't think I could run a bit.  So I was amazed to discover I could! The first couple of weeks were very difficult, even though they were only 60 second, 90 second, and 3 minute intervals.  And the 3 minute intervals almost made me quit. But once I conquered those 3 minute runs, it got so much easier from there. I have talked to others who did the program that felt the same. I think the conditioning kicks in, and it all just gets a bit easier. That is my theory at least. Just stick with it.

4. Have the Proper Gear
You don't have to go all out and buy top of the line running shoes, but you do need a decent pair of sneakers. As long as they aren't too old, too beat up, and have good support you should do fine. If you do have the money, investing in running shoes is a good idea. You can also go to a local running store, run on a treadmill,  and they will analyze your stride to match you with the perfect pair for you.

5. Forget About Speed
Everyone wants to be the next Usain Bolt when they start running, but unless you are already uber athletic, it just isn't going to happen for you. It's more important to focus on time and distance (in that order) than speed. Don't feel bad if you feel you could walk faster than you run. Speed comes with consistent practice.

6. Find a Way to Be Accountable
I think the reason I have been so successful with my running is I have someone to be accountable to. Jana and I have always checked in with each other after runs, reminded each other to run, and given each other a kick in the pants when we needed it. It is a great to have that person to check in with it. It is easier to skip workouts if no one knows you are skipping it. If you have no one to check in with, I would suggest a website like Stickk, where you have to pay money if you don't meet your goals!

7. Make a Kick Ass Playlist (or an AudioBook)
This tip is probably a little obvious, but you need something to occupy your mind when running otherwise the thoughts of, "I want to stop running now," will take over. If I'm inside, I watch some of my favorite shows, but outside I love to listen to podcasts, audiobooks, or music on my phone.  It is absolutely essential!

8. Honor Thy Rest Day
After you have that first successful run that does not make you feel like you want to die, you will get a total runner's high. It can be so addicting, and you might just think, "I want to do this all over again tomorrow." But don't. It is important to take a rest day for your muscles to recover and grow stronger. It will just make you a better runner next time!

9. Do What Works Best for You
Figure out a schedule you can stick with. Do you feel more energized in the morning? Wake up early in the mornings to run. Do you hate mornings like me? Go in the evening. Do you feel drained every Friday after a week of school/work? Do your runs on a Thursday instead. Think of what days will be easiest for you and get out there and run.  You know you best of all, so put some thought into what your training schedule needs to look like, so you won't be making excuses not to get out there on training day.

10. Don't Stop After the Race
One of the biggest mistakes I've ever made was to quit running after my first 5k. I got lazy and felt like I had accomplished my goal. Too bad, I had already signed up for a 10k! I walked that whole 10k, but I wished I could have run it! I had to start the program all over again because I lost all my conditioning. Make new goals to accomplish after that 5k. Do the 5k to 10k program, train for a half marathon, or finally start some speed work. Just keep running!

Have a Great Holiday Weekend Everybody,
Brittany

No comments:

Post a Comment