Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Why I Run...PT 2

Brittany posted a really good post a couple of weeks ago about why she runs and it really got me to thinking about why I run. The truth of the matter is, what started out as two friends deciding to do their very first 5K turned into more than I could ever imagine. It helped me build confidence. It helped me feel better about myself. It got me to be active for the first time in a long time. But most importantly, it took me out of my comfort zone and gave me an outlet to work out stress and frustrations. 

Since I have started running, I can tell a HUGE difference. These two pictures are prime examples of the differences between then and now.

July 2012
Weight: 302
April 2014
   Weight: 265

When I started this journey, I was very secretive about my weight. I didn't want anyone to know that I had hit the 300lb mark. I was embarrassed and ashamed. As I mentioned in an earlier post, my come to Jesus meeting occurred on my very first flight out to California when I couldn't get the seat belt to buckle. That in and of itself was the beginning to my realizing I had a major problem. 

After Brittany and I started training with C25K, which is a great program for those wanting to start running, I found that even though I always joked about never being a runner, that yes...I could be. I had confidence for the first time ever. Clothes fit better. I was watching the scale move down, although slowly. And the inches came off. For me, the weight loss has been slow, but it has also been permanent. As the saying goes, "I didn't LOSE the weight...I got rid of it. I have no intention of ever finding it again."

I guess my reasons for running have far surpassed their humble beginnings. They have gone from a challenge to something I actually crave. I WANT to be healthy. I WANT to get out there and run. I WANT to see my body change. But most importantly, I WANT TO DO THIS FOR ME! When I can't control anything else, I can control when and where I run. I can control how much I run and I can ultimately control my health over the long haul. I only get one body and I hope that by my 30's I'm in better shape than I have ever been.

If you are thinking about becoming a runner, please remember a few things:

1. It doesn't matter how long it takes you to do a mile, the fact is that you are out there doing it.
2. Don't get discouraged that people are passing you. The only person you need to be in competition with is yourself. 
3. If anyone makes fun of you, don't stop! Everyone has to start somewhere. Some of us are just further in the race than others. 
4. Be proud of the body you have. If you aren't happy with it, only YOU can change it. 
5. Your head will give out long before your body will. Keep pushing or you can't grow. 
6. Sign up for a race before you start. It will give you something to work for. 
7. Have fun! Nothing better than getting out there with just you and the pavement. Forget your troubles and just run. 

For those of you looking for other reasons to run, this is for you. Enjoy!


Happy Running,
Jana

No comments:

Post a Comment