Tuesday, June 24, 2014

The Bad Run & The Good Run


I was on such a high from my Saturday 5k victory run all weekend long. But when Monday came around I was nervous about conquering the start of the 4 miler week (I decided to extend the 3 milers into two weeks, due to the lack of runs I was able to get in during last week).

Monday afternoon, I dragged myself onto the treadmill. I don't know if I was still sore from Saturday or just not in a good head space, but my legs felt heavy and clunky. I just couldn't force the run. So I stopped. In the past, quitting on a run would devastate me. I would think about how I would never reach my goals, and I wasn't doing good enough. But I have learned that bad runs happen, and they don't really say anything about my abilities or fitness. 

Now if I had a whole week of bad runs, I would be more concerned. 

So I had to try the 4 mile run again today. I typically don't like to run on Tuesdays because it is my long day.  I planned on running on the treadmill today. But I had brought my running clothes to work, so I could change into them before heading home. I do this because if I change before I go home, I am more likely to work out. But when I stepped outside the office it was so cool out, due to recent storms.  So I decided I would switch it up and go to a local park. I'm glad I did. The park was beautiful today, and it gave me a change of scenary.

I was able to jog 4 miles without stopping! This is the farthest I have ever gone. The first mile and the last mile were the worst. But those two miles in between were my total sweet spot. My first two miles were sub 16 minutes, but I slowed down considerably on the last couple of miles. So my overall pace was a 17 minute mile. It is not a Disney eligible time, but I am still proud. Speed will come in time. 

Sometimes my body amazes me with what it can do when I have the proper mind set. It is amazing how my bad runs are always followed by good ones! Hope that is always the case!

Until Next Time,
Brittany

No comments:

Post a Comment